Thursday, September 20, 2012

Norway Massacre Victims

Anders Behring Breivik is the perpetrator of the 2011 Norway attacks. In a sequential bombing and mass shooting on 22 July 2011, he bombed government buildings in Oslo, resulting in eight deaths, then carried out a mass shooting at a camp of the Workers' Youth League (AUF) of the Labour Party on the island of Utøya, where he killed 69 people, mostly teenagers. He was convicted of mass murder, causing a fatal explosion, and terrorism in August 2012. On 24 August 2012, Oslo District Court found Breivik sane and guilty of murdering 77 people. He was sentenced to preventive detention, a special form of prison sentence, with a term of 21 years and a minimum of 10 years, with the possibility of extension for as long as he is deemed a danger to society; the media have noted that he is unlikely to be released until much later than 21 years, and will probably remain in prison for life.

The following are portraits taken by Andrea Yestvang, are of some of the surviving victims and their scars.

Alexander Sandberg, 16, hid under a sofa in a school building. He stayed there with 47 other youths until police arrived and Breivik was arrested.

“What happened will always be a part of me.” Ida Karolin Broholm, 21, hid in a room behind a kiosk before moving down to the waterfront and swimming away.

Eirin Kristin Q'ero, 20, Laksvatn - "By the fall of my wounds have healed, but the head was happening was wrong. I felt empty inside and fatigue. The first time I cried in December. I get scared when the phone starts ringing when I saw the police ... Then I began to dream of those who died on the island. In these dreams, we do the most ordinary things - walking and everything. I wake up after these dreams - and I'm happy. "

Hannah Ness, 20, Namsos - "I remember very well, as I was a dead body falls Lena Mary, my best friend. Then she began to haunt me - sitting in the corner of my bed. I was angry at her because she was already dead, and I knew it. I tried to get rid of it, but nothing worked. I saw it as clear as what I see now. She still sat and sat with a slight smile on his face - until the day when she was buried. "

Ylva Schwenke, 15, hid by a path on Utøya. She was shot in the shoulder, stomach, and in both her thighs. “I’ve lost my innocence—for better and for worse.”

Prablen Kaur, 19, Oslo - "Darkness. / I'm in the water. / Time, space, color, / Everything flows.
Time is frozen, broken into pieces. / My path is lost sight of.
The shadows of twilight left behind, still with me. "

Cecilie Herlovsen, 17, from Sarpsborg, hid at the southern tip of the island with her best friend, Andrine. Cecilie was shot in the arm, shoulder, and jaw. The last bullet hit her wisdom tooth, which probably saved her life. Andrine died. Cecilie had to have her arm amputated. “I remember that 10 doctors stood around my bed at the hospital, together with my mom, dad, and my brother. They were very serious looking when they said that I had to amputate the arm"

This   photo is on Eirin Kjær, 19. Eirin was shot in the stomach, arm, thigh and just below the armpit. After six weeks in the hospital, she is home in Laksvatn in Troms County.



All photo credit to Andrea Gjestvang
Photos taken from here, here and here
Info from here

No comments:

Post a Comment